Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Thoughts of Heaven from my sister-in-law

Some of you know my sister-in-law Robin. She is a character for sure but she and I have had many, usually funny conversations on many topics. One of the topics was on heaven.

Here is what Robin had to say,"All I'm saying is, If Heaven is about Pearly Gates, Golden Streets and a bunch of Angels singing all the time, I don't think it's going to do it for me!"

It's a funny way to put it but it is true, I don't think that would do it for me either. To me that sounds more like a wedding chapel in Las Vegas.

So what is Heaven going to be like? The fact is, no one really knows for sure. The bible gives us a glimpse here and there but there is still a lot left to the imagination. Personally I think the best description of heaven is probably found in the life of Jesus both before and after His resurrection.  Jesus came to this earth as a perfect man. He came as the second Adam.

1 Corinthians 15:48-49

48 As was the earthly man (Adam), so are those who are of the earth; and as is the heavenly man (Jesus), so also are those who are of heaven. 49 And just as we have borne the image of the earthly man, so shall we bear the image of the heavenly man.

"So we shall bear the image of the Heavenly man"  When will we bear the image of the heavenly man? I would imagine after we have died and are resurrected just as Jesus was into our perfect life.

Jesus came to this earth as a perfect man with amazing powers. Can you imagine what this fallen world would be like if God gave all of us the powers of Jesus here and now?  You think we have problems now?

Jesus was given all power because he was in perfect relationship with God the Father. The bible tells us that Jesus did nothing except what God directed Him to do.

John 5:19-30

19 Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. 20 For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does.

Now imagine having all the power Jesus did but being in perfect relationship with God. Then and only then would having this kind of power be a constant source blessing. There would be no more want, no more illness, no more hunger, no more tears.  Kind of sounds like heaven to me.  What are your thoughts?

Love, Pastor Kent    It's going to be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment