Saturday, May 25, 2013

Memorial Day

This weekend millions of people all over America will get together to "celebrate" Memorial Day.

Like many declared holidays, Memorial Day for most people will be a time of fun, meals with family and friends, and an extra day off from work. Memorial Day has become synonymous with many as the holiday that officially kicks off summer and all of its activities.  But to some families, Memorial Day is much more than a time to have bar-b-q and parties.

Memorial Day is set aside to honor the men and women who died while serving our country. For those who have lost a son or daughter, father or mother in battle, this holiday takes on a much deeper meaning.  It is a day to remember their sacrifice. The ultimate sacrifice.

Since 1776 it is estimated that over 2,718,000 men and women have died in battles and that is just people in this country. World wide it would be hard to imagine the amount of human loss because of war.

I believe in celebrating. We have to take time to gather, laugh, eat, drink, and have fun, share stories, dance, sing, and relax.  That is part of what makes life so precious.

Someday we are all going to die. That realization is what makes Jesus so important to anyone who loves this life and who does not want to loose anyone they love forever to the enemy we call death. Jesus is the remedy, the cure, the guaranteed fix, the complete restorer of loss due to death.

This Sunday Praise Community Fellowship will gather as we always do at 6:30. There will be music, conversation, fellowship, and the presence of God.  "For where ever two or more are gathered in my name, I am there in the midst of them.”

I plan to celebrate life this weekend. I will think of those who have died in service for my benefit. I will laugh with my family and friends. I will enjoy all that God has given me and I will, God willing, see all of you Sunday evening at 6:00. We will gather as friends and family to come together and worship Jesus, the one who gives life to those who become His.

Won't you join us? All are welcome. Come as you are!    Love, Pastor Kent





No comments:

Post a Comment