Thursday, October 17, 2013

Keep It Simple

Math was always hard for me when I was in school. I struggled with anything that went beyond the basics of addition, subtraction, and multiplication. Algebra, geometry...forget it. I was lost most the time. I believe if I could have had a private teacher, a tutor...a very patient tutor...sit down with me and explain things in a way that I could grasp, I would have done much better. Someone who could simplify the process so it made sense to me.

The bible can be overwhelming to many.  There are so many stories and so many messages and so many characters. Why couldn't God just give us something a little easier to understand?
The answer to that is He did. He sent us His Son Jesus to simplify and to give us a human demonstration of who He is and What He expects of us.

The scripture below is another one of my favorite scriptures when it comes to simplifying the 10 commandments. This scripture was written by the apostle Paul.


Galatians 5:13-14

13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” (Underline and italics mine)

Paul is repeating what Jesus said in Matthew.

Matthew 22:34-40

The Greatest Commandment

34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”


It fits the definition of love that I have preached on many times. Love is when you make the health, happiness, success, and wellbeing of another person as important as your own health, happiness, success, and wellbeing. 

This Sunday:
I'm excited to announce that Jennifer Kaburik will be giving the sermon. I have asked Jennifer to give the sermon because she brings her experience from the perspective of a career woman, wife, mother, coach, and someone who is on fire for God and all He is doing in her life. 

God has a plan for your life! Make no mistake about it. 
Hope to see you Sunday.  Sincerely, pastor Kent

No comments:

Post a Comment