Monday, February 17, 2014

Monday Morning Thoughts

The magic of "Subtraction!"

As a pastor I always have one goal in mind when it comes to practicing my walk with God. I want people I know to experience the reality and the benefits of knowing Jesus personally.

That seems simple enough but it isn't. Life here in America today is complicated, very busy, very comfortable and there are hundreds of worldly distractions.  There are just too many distractions for people to get lost in which keeps them from knowing and enjoying the peace and joy that God has to offer those who get to know Him.

So what can we do to get God into the right priority in our life?
Maybe we need to subtract rather than to add something more to our life. Think about it. We want to loose weight so we join a gym or sign up for work out sessions, or we buy a new fad diet program.  These are all examples of "adding" more to our already crazy overwhelmed life.

What if instead of "adding" more things to get what we want, we instead try "subtracting" some things to get what we want?

I decided to subtract something from my life about 8 years ago and I found it easy so I know this works.  My subtraction had to do with a health decision. I stopped drinking soda…100%. That one subtraction takes a large amount of sugar and calories out of my diet each year and I don't miss it.

I also decided to get off Facebook about a year ago. I never miss it, not once. I'm not sure how much time that has freed up because I never did spend that much time on it but even if it was only 5 minutes a day that freed up almost 31 hours a year that I can now use on something else.

We are all busy and I am not suggesting for anyone to give up something they really enjoy like soda or Facebook.  That is not my point.  My point is that I bet there are at least two things on your current daily list that you could "subtract" from your life that would end up improving your life substantially over time.

Send me some of your ideas and I'll post them to get people motivated. Calculate the the savings or calorie savings on things you decide that you are going to subtract.  Ok and one more thing, please don't tell me you are going to subtract church!

God has a plan for your life! See you soon, love pastor Kent



No comments:

Post a Comment