Tuesday, April 8, 2014

When will we Get It?

First let me apologize for throwing this news into my blog but I feel compelled because maybe this is why so many people have had it with Christianity.  God teaches so much when you are "tuned in" to His channel.  It started yesterday when I went with Bonni to the opening day celebrations in St. Louis.  Bonni had a work function and asked me to go with her. Here was my observation.

It was 42 degrees, cold, nasty, raining and yet there were thousands of people flocking to the opening day celebration. As we struggled to find a parking spot I said to Bonni, "Isn't it amazing how people will come out in this miserable cold rainy weather for a ball game?"  I said, "I wonder how many would have been here if it were a church service?  OK so I am not against having fun, not at all.  use an observation and then today the news.  But maybe the following news article is why the church is loosing so many people.

The news:

GOP Rep. Vance McAllister has provided yet another demonstration of the perils of selling yourself as a candidate of faith and family values. McAllister issued an apology yesterday, after the Ouachita Citizen published surveillance footage from December showing the 40-year-old congressman from Louisiana passionately making out with staffer Melissa Anne Hixon Peacock, who is 33 and married. McAllister's chief of staff confirms to the Monroe News-Star that Peacock has been taken off payroll. McAllister, meanwhile, plans to stand for re-election next fall, "unless there is an outcry for me not to serve, and so far there has been an outpouring of support, not for my actions, but for me to continue to represent the people."
McAllister has been married for 16 years, and his wife and five children featured prominently in several TV ads. He's also touted his Christianity in ads, and several outlets have pointed out that he was endorsed by Bible-loving Duck Dynasty stars Phil and Willie Robertson—the latter of whom McAllister later invited to the State of the Union address. (Source: Newser)

Ok I realize there are many things in this story that can make your blood boil but I am going to stick to one issue, advertising your Christianity as way to make yourself look good.
So here is the deal dear fellow Christians.  STOP…PLEASE STOP telling people you are a Christian  if you are doing so for your own benefit, to try and lift yourself up as if you are better than others.  Just BE a Christian.  It will be obvious and you won't have to try and sell your superiority which doesn't exist anyway.  
And then to all who may read this blog who may not have committed their life to Jesus yet let me just be real honest with you.  We Christians, just like everyone else in this world are all messed up, everyone of us. We are are sinners, we mess up, we let people down, we make people angry, we are just like all of you with one huge exception. We as practicing Christians believe in Jesus and His sacrifice that paid the debt for our sins. That is why Easter is so big for us.  We come together to celebrate Jesus' resurrection after He was crucified on a cross over 2,000 years ago. He was brought back to life to demonstrate to the world that He was who He claimed to be, The Son of God.  And that anyone who believes in Him and gets to know Him will also have eternal life.  And not just any old like we have here on earth but a life of perfect health, happiness, Joy. A perfect life with no pain, illness or sorrows.  The life that we were meant to have back when God created us in the beginning.

I am sorry that we as Christians have let so many down by our actions.  So here is what I want everyone who reads this to know.  As practicing Christians we are called to love one another, forgive one another, and show mercy on those who let us down.  Jesus' teachings are life changing. So with that in mind Vance McAllister messed up. He knows it. His biggest mistake was advertising his Christianity as something that made him superior to the rest of us. God will forgive him if he repents. But here is the bottom line. My Belief in Jesus doesn't make me superior to anyone.  I'm not perfect because I believe in Jesus. I'm not exempt from making mistakes because I believe in Jesus, but I am very blessed to have Jesus in my life. You won't understand that until you experience it. Our church, Praise Community Fellowship is about helping people experience Jesus. If you have questions about this blog send me an email. OK enough now lets move on.

Have a great blessed day because "God has a plan for your life!"
Love, pastor Kent


No comments:

Post a Comment