Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Wednesday Thought for the Day!

Who is Your Life Guard?
Most people who have been around Christians will know John 3:16.

John 3:16 
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

This verse captures, in the simplest most direct way, how much God loves us. But the very next verse is also extremely powerful and should also be written in your heart. 

John 3:17 
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus came to "Save" not condemn!  Look at the powerful words these two verses give us.

God loved the "world!" I think that pretty much includes everyone. 
Who can be saved? The answer is "Whoever!"  
What are the requirements to receive this saving love and grace?    "Belief!" 
Belief in what?    "Gods one and only Son!"
And if I believe, what is the reward?    "Eternal Life!"
Did Jesus come to condemn any one?    "No, He came to save the world!"

Now, when you look at these two verses in the bible, does it say anything about us having to change in any way shape or form before we receive this saving grace and eternal life?   I don't see that anywhere in these two verses do you?

It doesn't say I have to follow the ten commandments!
It doesn't say that I have to stop drinking or smoking! 
It doesn't say I have to stop living with my girl friend! 
It doesn't say I have to quit cussing!
It doesn't say I have to become a Republican or a Democrat!
It doesn't say I have to join a church!
It doesn't say I have to read my bible!
It doesn't say I have to give 10% of my money to a charity or the church!

I think we need to focus on what it does say! Look at the definition of WHOEVER.
Whoever: Any person at all, whatever person, no matter who

Looks to me as if the only qualification then is belief in Jesus! 
Now, I know what many of you are probably thinking, but Kent what kind of example would we be setting if we allowed all of the above behaviors to be part of the church?  That is why I preach that all of us who have accepted Jesus are on a life long journey or path moving toward the Truth.  Jesus being the truth. Jesus being the model. Jesus being the way. The greatest thing about Christianity is the "Whoever!"  Come just as you are. The bible says in Romans:

Romans 5:8 New International Version
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Jesus saves us right where we are!  Not where He wants us to be. If you are caught in a riptide while swimming in the ocean, you want the life guard to swim out to wherever you are. You don't want Him standing on the beach yelling at you to swim harder, try harder, you have to get closer to the shore before I can come out to save you!  You would drown!

Listen, all of us are swimming in this ocean of life and some are further from the shore than others and some are stronger swimmers than others. I don't know about you, but if I get in trouble while I'm out in the ocean I want a life guard that is going to dive in and get out to me regardless of who I am, what color I am, what my political beliefs are, what my bad habits are. I don't want a life guard who is going to stand on the shore and start running down a list of questions about who I am, and then demand that I try harder to save myself before they commit to saving me. Would you?

Jesus is the perfect lifeguard. He will dive right in and save "Whoever" calls on His name!  Amen!

Ash Wednesday service tonight at 6:30PM at Immanuel Methodist.

See you soon. Love, pastor kent



No comments:

Post a Comment