Wednesday, September 21, 2016

How Bad Is It?


If you are on Facebook, watch the evening news, or listen to talk radio, it will sound like we are falling apart at the seams just about everywhere.  Racial tensions, terrorists, wars, political corruption...Very Depressing!

This past summer Bonni and I had a business trip to Chicago. One afternoon we took time to do a little shopping on Michigan Avenue. Like most men, I got tired of that fairly quickly and decided to take a break from shopping. (to be fair, I was the one who bought the most on this trip!) So I decided to go outside and people watch.  I was there about 15 minutes by myself when an older gentleman sat down next to me smoking a cigar. We struck up a conversation. Turns out he was from Pakistan, a Muslim, and a business man at a conference in Chicago. We talked about the U.S., his country, about me being a Christian pastor and he being a muslim. I guess we had a 1/2 hour conversation and near the end we both decided that "most" people in the world just want to live and let live. They are not interested in war, hate, destruction, or hurting others. Most people just want to enjoy life, their family, to laugh, love, eat, feel safe, and be healthy. 

We shook hands, he gave me his card, which I still have today, and then he said with all sincerity, "Pastor Kent, if you ever come to Pakistan, you call me and I will show you around and we will have a good time!" He was sincere. 

There are currently 7.452 billion people in this world. I bet if we could count all the trouble makers that exist today, people who want to cause problems and hate and pain and hurt, that number would be less that 1% of the world population, yet they get the most news and attention.

So what is the answer since there are real problems to be solved? 
Be part of the solution! 
Promote love, acceptance and healing! 
Be kind! 
Be forgiving! 
Be helpful!
Be willing to reach out and talk with people who are not like you!
I guess it could be summed up in Jesus' words, "Love your neighbor as much as you love yourself!"

There is hope! Darkness cannot overpower light. It's just the opposite. But we have been taught that darkness is powerful. Not true. 

Praise Community Fellowship and Immanuel Methodist, two churches living, loving, and growing together to spread the light. Come join us Sunday mornings at 8:45am. 800 North Main Edwardsville.

See you soon, love, pastor kent and pastor jackie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment