Tuesday, October 25, 2016

The Baseball Cubs and Heaven


After church this past Sunday Bonni and I were having brunch with some of our wonderful congregation members and one of them asked me if I thought the people in heaven, who used to be Cub fans, were celebrating their win to get into the world series? 

I have had similar questions about heaven regarding pets. 
Do they go to heaven? 
Will I see my pet in Heaven? The most honest answer I can give to all of these questions is, "I don't know?" I did say that I am pretty sure dogs do go to heaven but cats, I doubt it!  (I'm just kidding!) 

I love it when people question things like this. That is how I began my lifetime quest into getting to know God and the bible. Question everything! Let me give an answer to the above questions about dogs, cats, and baseball which is probably the most biblical answer I can give. We all have things on this earth that bring us joy, happiness, and love. For some it is hunting, for others watching football, others golfing, others fishing, everyone has their thing that brings them happiness and joy. What we have to understand is that all good things come from God and God will eventually become our total fulfillment. In other words, to be in Gods presence someday will fill us with such joy and completeness that nothing else will be needed. Nothing! Although we have special moments and things on this earth that may give us a glimpse of this kind of joy, peace and happiness, nothing will come close to what we will experience when we come into God's presence. He will be all that is necessary for us to be filled to overflowing with completeness, peace, joy, contentment, fulfillment.

What about seeing our loved ones who have died? Will we see them again?
My answer to this is yes but the relationship we enjoyed on this earth, whether it be husband or wife, sister or brother, mother or child etc. won't be the same in heaven. The relationship will not be the important thing as it was on this earth. God will be the center of everything for everyone. From Him and through Him we will enjoy everyone in the same fullness of love, joy, peace, and gratitude. 

Now let me give you my standard disclosure about the above answers and to everything I teach about God. The above is "my" current interpretation which does not make it "The truth!" It is based on what I believe at this time through all my study and prayer. The bottom line is this. God is real. Jesus is a real person who came to teach us about God's Kingdom and to save us not only from death but also from religion! Make sure you read that last line again! 

I think most of us are going to be in for an overwhelming surprise the moment we check out of this world and enter into God's Kingdom. I cannot even imagine the beauty, the awesomeness, the overwhelming peace, joy and love that will experience in God's presence. 

The sole reason I am a pastor, is to try and help people connect with God's Peace! That is what He will give you in this world. And once you have tasted His peace, it is something that you will want to stay connected to closely everyday of your life!

Praise Community Fellowship and Immanuel Methodist, two churches becoming one family! We are breaking all the religious rules to bring Jesus to people. 

See you soon! Love, pastor kent
PS Thanks Barb!

Have questions or comments. Text me at 618-334-3575. 

No comments:

Post a Comment