Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Thoughts on this past Sunday's Service


Sunday's service was very special for me. I had the privilege of dedicating Caden Keller into the Christian faith. As I was holding Caden he looked right into my eyes as I was speaking. It was a wonderful experience. It confirmed that I am where I am supposed to be at this time in my life. 

Sunday I spoke about how Christianity is the only place to get the answer to man's oldest question. What is my purpose?   

If you know the answer to that question, then no matter what circumstances you find yourself in or how lost you may feel, you have a compass to true north. The answer to that question is, "To Glorify God!" 

If you make anything other than Glorifying God as your primary purpose for your life, you are going to live a life with emptiness and longing no matter how much worldly success you may achieve.

All of us "drift" from our primary purpose. Being a pastor, one might think that pastors would be exempt from this drifting from our primary purpose. Not true! I can drift away from true north just as easy as anyone. It is part of our fallen human nature. When you find yourself getting lost, drifting from your primary purpose of glorifying God, it is time to go to the compass and check the map to find out how far off the path you have wondered. The compass is the Holy Spirit and the map is the bible.

When I find myself feeling distant and/or disengaged from God, I know it is time for me to go to God's word and prayer. I must get back to my primary purpose. Then and only then do begin enjoying God's peace and presence.

The way we Glorify God is by applying the teachings of Jesus. To love others as much as we love ourselves. To put others first. To be honest, fair, and trustworthy. To have a servants heart. 

This Christmas, make it the best Christmas you have ever had by Glorifying God in all that you do! 

Announcements:
We need names and addresses for all of you who attend Praise Community Fellowship for the directory. Please call Anita in the church office with your information. The phone # 618-656-4648.

Christmas Eve services will be held at 6:30pm and 11:00pm.
Pastor kent will be leading the 6:30 service and pastor jackie will be leading the 11:00pm service.

Do you know of someone who has a need this Christmas? Contact the church to let pastor Jackie or myself know.

Past sermons can be listened to by going to www.praisecommunityfellowship.com and clicking on Sermon Replay. Click Here to go to sermons.

Praise Community Fellowship and Immanuel Methodist Church coming together as one church family to demonstrate love in the community. Located at 800 North Main Street Edwardsville. Service times 8:45am Sunday mornings.

See you soon. Love, pastor kent





No comments:

Post a Comment