Sunday, January 1, 2017

Day One! 2017


The best "two word" question for the first day of this New Year, "What If?"

This New Year I am asking huge "What If" questions for our little church. I will be sharing them soon. 

Here is what I observe and what is being placed on my heart as a Christian. There is immense suffering in this world. It is found all over in all kinds of ways. Much of the worlds suffering is caused by political, religious, and racial intolerance and hate. As a Christian, I have to ask myself, "What is my obligation and responsibility to the suffering I see in so many places?" Do I just go about my life and ignore it, or do I do something, try something, get involved in some way to at least make a difference in one persons life? If I fail, at least I fail while trying.

Another observation.  There are enough Christian Churches in Edwardsville alone to make a big dent in some of the un-neccessary suffering around us. If we took the amount of money we are spending on the operating budgets of just our local churches, I bet it would be well over a million dollars a year. Think about all the salaries, the insurance, the utilities, the maintenance, etc. just to keep the church buildings open and comfortable. 

I have to ask myself is this simple question, "What is more important to Jesus, maintaining a beautiful church building that keeps it's members happy and comfortable, OR feeding, clothing, housing, caring for and loving the poor, the outcast, and the suffering? "

Kick that question around in your heart this coming week and then get back with me what the Holy Spirit whispers in your ear! 

1 John 3:17-1817 If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

See you next Sunday January 8th! Love, pastor kent

Two churches worshipping as one. Immanuel Methodist and Praise Community Fellowship. 800 North main St. Edwardsville. Sunday mornings at 8:45am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment