Thursday, May 9, 2013

I've been Thinking

I know I have not posted since Monday. That's because I have nothing important to say. I don't want to blog just to be blogging.  Now that I have said that, I'm worried about this post.  Maybe this will be thrown into the category of "nothing of importance to say?"

I know this Sunday is Mothers day.  I had planned on starting a sermon series on Money and Heaven and then I remembered it is mothers day.   I was not planning on a mothers day sermon. For one thing there is no mothers day in the bible. That is not meant to sound mean or against mothers day, I'm all for Mother's day, Father's day, Boss's day, Secretary's day, President's day...... all good. I just think that to best honor all the above we need to have a firm relationship with Jesus.  Then, Mother's day, Father's day and all special days can truly be special.

So this Sunday I am going to dedicate my sermon to all the mothers. I'm not sure if this is going to be the final title but the sermon will be on,  How to Change Your Life by Glorifying God.

I ran across something this week that really caught my eye that I have to share with you.  I think it was written by Mark Driscoll, but I'm not completely sure if that is the source.
This is funny to me but true.

"When it comes to living for God’s glory or our happiness, we tend to pick happiness and that’s when we sin. Sin is when we look at our options and say, “I can either glorify God or choose what think I need to be happy. I will eat a whole chocolate cake. I will drink light beer and I will get naked. I’ll be happy. I’m not gonna glorify God. I’m gonna be happy with a chocolate cake, the six-pack and the naked person. That will make me happy.” 

"Or I can choose what I think I need to be happy" That is such a real statement. It goes back to what I posted last week. We think we know better than God what we need, what is good for us, or what will make us happy.

I hope you will join us this Sunday, Mother's day. There may be chocolate, cake? There will not be beer, and I promise I won't be naked. Actually we are all naked before God. There is nothing we are hiding from Him. Come join us and the Holy Spirit and see what God wants to do with your life.

See you soon, Love Pastor Kent


No comments:

Post a Comment