Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Special Needs Christians

As many of you know I have a special needs son. He did not develop as most people do. He essentially has stayed as an infant. Fully grown body but unable to function as an independent adult.

We can become handicapped as Christians too. We can have a spiritual birth but our development won't continue unless we make a determined effort to learn and develop a relationship with God. Otherwise we will remain as infants unable to experience the fullness of all that God has for us. Growth is a process. Our minds and bodies grow by eating a healthy diet and by going to school and exercising our mind with an increasingly challenging curriculum. Our spiritual development is no different.

Look at Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart!"

When I was a new Christian trying to grasp all I could about God I gravitated to such scriptures. Why? Because there were a ton of things that I wanted in this life.  A house on the beach, a big boat, a hit record…… you know stuff.    And if by being a Christian I could get them by believing in God, I was all in. I did not have the spiritual maturity to fully understand what many of the scriptures were teaching. In the scripture above I placed the emphasis on "getting the desires of my heart!" I mean read it yourself, there it is right there in the bible.

I did not yet understand what delighting my self in the Lord meant. I now know that to delight myself in anyone it takes a very close deep, caring, loving, adoring, relationship. A relationship which puts the object of my affection, the one I truly care about, first. And when you get there with God, He does something amazing. He changes your heart which changes your desires. And when your desires line up with His desires, "BAM" you now have miracle power!

Isaiah 55:11 "So is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it!"

This world could be so different if only we would delight ourself in a close relationship with God and listen closely to His voice through the Holy Spirit and then act on what He speaks to our hearts.

This Sunday we meet at the Crystal Garden. A new chapter in Praise Community Fellowship. Seeking Gods will in everything we do because God has a plan for our lives. We are growing and learning together. It is a life long process, not an arrival.

See you Sunday, 6:30pm. Love, pastor Kent

No comments:

Post a Comment