Tuesday, September 27, 2016

And the Truth Will Set You Free!


Freedom happens when you realize that it is OK to let go of old beliefs, no matter how sacred you have made them. You begin to realize just how expansive and joyful life can become when you are able to unlock the chains of tradition, and passed down "truths" (which usually aren't truths at all), which serve only to keep you and others in bondage.  

The Pharisees could not see beyond their truth. Their traditions and false beliefs held them in miserable bondage. Their truths caused them much distress and fear. They feared lack of power, loss of control, loss of status. The Pharisee's truth prevented them from seeing who Jesus was, the long awaited Messiah! There He stood, right in front of them, yet they were blinded by their own ignorance, their own traditions, their own truths. They could not recognize the son of God because they thought they already knew the truth of who He would be, what He would look like, how He would act, and what He would say and do.

You and I are no different. We have a hard time accepting new idea's and possibilities because we think we already know how something is or how something works. Too often we are all about the should's or shouldn'ts rather than about the possibilities that there may be something much greater for us if we would only let go of some of our prejudices, traditions, and fears. The old ways have past and a new covenant was and is at hand.

Jesus wants to set all of us free. There is Joy and freedom in knowing Jesus! If you lack joy in your life I would begin reviewing your truth's and beliefs. Maybe the truth is standing before you but you are blinded like the Pharisees. Does that thought make you uncomfortable? It did for me for quite some time. But the more I studied and read and prayed and opened my mind to all possibilities, the more I realized just how small the box was that I had created for myself. Today, I am no longer in that box. It takes great faith to let go of binding beliefs. Open yourself to the freedom Jesus offers. It is life changing. Stop pretending that you have all the answers and know the truth. That alone is very freeing. There was a time when I felt I had to be the expert in so many things. I thought it was important for my work, for my relationships, as a parent, as a church member. But man was I kidding myself. Now, I feel so darn free to admit, "I really don't know much of anything!" "I certainly don't claim to be an expert at anything!" "I make plenty of mistakes!" but I can declare that I have an amazing love for all people. I feel joyful most of the time. I feel free to learn new ways of thinking. I don't worry about anything. I feel very blessed! Oh there is so much more to talk about!

You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free! 
See you soon! Love, pastor kent

Have questions or comments? Love to hear them. You can add a comment at the end of this blog or you can call me at 618-334-3575

Praise Community Fellowship and Immanuel United Methodist church coming together as one worshipping body to explore the possibilities of love and fellowship. Come visit us some Sunday morning at 8:45am. 800 North Main St. Edwardsville.



No comments:

Post a Comment